March 21, 2025 – The legal battle between NJZ (formerly known as NewJeans) and their former agency, ADOR, has taken another turn as the group announced their intention to challenge the court’s recent ruling. While the court sided with ADOR in its injunction request, NJZ members emphasized that the decision did not fully consider the extent of their grievances, particularly the loss of trust between them and their former agency.
In an official statement released via their NJZ account, the members expressed their respect for the court’s decision but highlighted the limitations of the expedited legal process. “The nature of an injunction requires a swift decision, and as a result, we did not have sufficient opportunity to present all the necessary evidence,” NJZ stated. They pointed out that ADOR and HYBE possess full access to information regarding their entertainment activities, while the NJZ members had to personally reach out to individuals for information, often facing reluctance due to fear of repercussions.
The members reiterated that their separation from ADOR is not a matter of financial disputes but rather about protecting their personal dignity and achievements. They accused the agency of mistreating and undervaluing them over time, leading to an irreparable breakdown in trust. “We cannot continue working with an agency that has consistently disrespected us and minimized our contributions,” NJZ declared, reaffirming their commitment to seeing their legal battle through to the end.
NJZ Continues to Prioritize Fans
Despite the ongoing legal proceedings, NJZ reassured fans that they remain committed to their scheduled activities, including their upcoming performance at ComplexCon Hong Kong on March 23. While ADOR has insisted that the group must perform under the name NewJeans, NJZ’s participation underscores their dedication to their supporters and their independence as artists.
The group also made it clear that the injunction ruling is only a temporary measure. A full-fledged lawsuit concerning the termination of their exclusive contracts is still pending, with the next hearing scheduled for April 3. NJZ remains confident that, in the more comprehensive legal process, they will be able to provide substantial evidence proving the legitimacy of their contract termination.
NJZ members acknowledged the difficulty of their situation but assured fans that they are determined to overcome these challenges. “We are going through a tough time, but our fans give us strength. We will remain strong and continue to fight for our rights,” they said.
With their determination unwavering, NJZ is prepared to fight for justice, ensuring that their voices are heard and their artistic freedom is upheld.
They have also said they would fight to keep their name, and their career, and would remain "NewJeans at heart" even if they lost the fight against Ador.
NewJeans were considered one of the brightest new bands in K-Pop, thanks to a playful blend of 1990s R&B and sugar-coated pop melodies.
In 2023, they were the eighth biggest-selling act in the world. Last year, they picked up a nomination for best group at the MTV Awards.